The History of St. Paul's

The Pittsburgh Synod of the Reformed Church dedicated St. Paul Homes on December 10, 1867 in Butler, Pa., as a home to care for destitute orphaned children. The Home was moved to Greenville, Pa., on February 24, 1909 in new facilities constructed through contributions from the Reformed Church congregations of Western Pennsylvania.

Health care services for the aging began in Greenville in 1927 at a leased house on Main Street. Later, two houses on Eagle Street were purchased for expanded care of the aging. The Greenville facilities were moved from the center of town to a site adjacent to the Children’s Home on September 7, 1946. This site was the 46-acre estate of Senator Frank Fay and was purchased through contributions from the Reformed congregations in Western Pennsylvania. In 1939 the merger of the Evangelical and Reformed Churches brought the Dorseyville Home for the Aged into the Synod. The administration of the Dorseyville Home and St. Paul Homes was merged into a single corporate structure in 1955. The children’s home was closed in 1971 and total emphasis was placed on caring for the aging. In 1974 the Dorseyville unit was closed and its remaining residents were transferred to the newly expanded Health Center of St. Paul Homes.

Today St. Paul’s encompasses 622 acres of beautiful rolling farmland less than one mile from the Borough of Greenville. The Villas, a state-of-the-art facility that opened in April 2005, cares for 192 nursing residents offering nursing care and comprehensive rehabilitation. Located behind The Villas is The Ridgewood, an aging-in-place facility built in 1995 featuring 40 studio style apartments. The Ridgewood combines private living accommodations, independent living with services, and personal care services for those residents who need daily assistance. The Colony, established during the 1970’s, provides an independent lifestyle in a neighborhood located on the north end of the campus including Estate homes, apartments and newly constructed Woodland homes. The Heritage opened July 2006 and is also an aging-in-place residence that features 80 studio style or one-bedroom apartments. The Heritage combines independent living with services and personal care services for individuals who some assistance with daily activities. In 2015, The Heritage added Jones Serenity Circle, a special care and secured neighborhood for individuals with dementia. It is home for 24 people.

In 2015, The Meadows neighborhood in The Villas transitioned to a short-stay neighborhood for 24 residents and provides rehabilitation and nursing care for individuals who will return to their homes.

In 2012, St. Paul’s reached out into the community by introducing its home and community based services – St. Paul’s Without Walls. Today, Without Walls (WOW) employs more than 100 staff members and cares for nearly 200 clients in the Greenville and Shenango Valley areas. Services include companion, care partner and private duty nursing as well as Philips Lifeline products and On-The-Go-Dining services.

In 2009, St. Paul Homes began doing business as St. Paul’s – A Continuing Care Community. This name better represents the large community in which St. Paul’s has evolved. Today, St. Paul’s is home to nearly 500 people and it employs more than 500.

Since our inception, local area businessmen and women, and pastors have volunteered their time on our Board of Directors assisting with oversight of St. Paul’s business. And for many decades, thousands of thoughtful women and men have shared their time and talents through our volunteer program. Our facilities have been enhanced tremendously throughout our history thanks to our auxiliary having raised nearly half of a million dollars toward resident initiatives that have enhanced life on campus.

St. Paul’s values the human spirit and life at St. Paul’s is filled with choices, meaningful lifestyles, valued relationships, and much more. The mission of St. Paul’s formed and sustained by the Judeo-Christian faith, and historically related to the United Church of Christ, is to provide meaning, richness of life, health care, and other support services, while maintaining and enhancing the dignity of human life. We value and uphold security, compassion and person-centered care. Its vision is to create a sense of belonging and purpose by providing a nurturing environment in a place you call home.

To learn more about St. Paul’s please call 724-588-7610 or visit us online at www.stpauls1867.org. You can also find us on Facebook.